Saturday, March 23, 2013

Plumbing

Nuff claims innocence


So, I am standing in the shower the other day and I called out to Jason, "Hey, uh, the shower's filling up with water..." So, I starting digging around in the drain, which falls distinctly into my "bleh"category. Long hairs globbed together with soap and fluff and oils (unidentified and just plain part of the water that squirts out from the wall... I try not to think about the industrial chemistry floating downstream and then into our bathroom). It is just not what you plan on doing when you get into the shower.

In any case, it was completely random. Earlier showers had been free of issues and the those since then have, as well. We determined that something had happened further up the line and was playing havoc with our shower. Especially after the water pressure dropped to nil a few times.

And just so you know: I always use a tonic/alcohol solution after I wash my face, or it will break out. Yeah. I forgot to use it the other day and woke up to a "surprise!" pimple in the middle of my cheek. So, just imagine the oil and bacteria crawling around in our wa-wa to begin with.

Last night, however, was the topper. We went to the gym, came back sautéed and decided cleanliness was better than being a giant salt lick. Jason jumped in first, while I started dinner (curried lentil soup over some rice). Once he emerged to monitor the rice, i jumped in, sudsed up and promptly lost all hot water. No really, just like the movies and cartoons. I'm squealing in the bathroom with my toenails rapidly turning blue (snow melt no doubt contributing to the water temperature), Jason comes to investigate, and I swear I was forced,  to squirt him with the shower head in order for him to fully appreciate my situation. Our pilot light had/has gone out. I finished my shower by taking deep breaths (better to eeeek! with) and searching out my inner polar bear. (incidentally, my "outer" polar bear, 'nuff, thought it was terribly amusing... as, did, I suspect, Jason, who rapidly left the room albeit wetter than when he'd entered).

I am not that worried about our situation. I am hopeful that it will just flip back on at some point just as randomly as it flipped off. I would also note that the apartment smells less like gas without the water heater running. Jason is searching the internet trying to figure out how to light it without blowing up the building...

Maybe we'll just call the landlord.

1 comment: