Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Printer and Haircut

I completely forgot about the printer. It was no conspiracy, but the crisis had passed and we moved on. As a consequence the story, such as it is, got a bit lost.

So, Jason was in a bit of a panic last week. He was trying to use a certificate template to create the certificates for his students. The problem was that all of our templates were laying out certifs that were 8.5 x 11 and our paper was A4. hoorah- there is a 2 inch blank spot on the right hand side of the page! After a certain degree of internet searches and teeth gnashing, I grabbed the computer and set out to create a certificate for his students. Thank you, Pages for the Mac. The job was tedious, but several hours later we ended up with something that was really quite reasonable.

The problem was printing. Jason began printing docs on some decent stock we bought, but quickly ran out of ink.  No problem, right? just a trip to the local Office Depot-Max... oh wait. Ukraine. Yeah. After several failed attempts, we ended up with yet another definition of the second world:

Instructions in Chinese, Russian and Hindi

Why would anyone pay for a fancy ink cartridge, when you can just buy ink, perform a simple operation, and refill the cartridges yourself? I would applaud the element of recycling, but in truth I would rather have a friggin' cartridge to cram in the machine. Instead, no cartridges are to be found (at 100 grivna a pop), but the above kits can be (colors + black for a mere 25 grivna).  

Although Jason did successfully re-load the cartridges, the print quality went down (Streaky). We ended up taking a pdf of the certifs to a print shop downtown and had them done on a fancy laser printer. They'll be deployed on Friday during the "closing ceremony".

We went back to Kleopatra to get hair cuts yesterday, assuming they'd be cheaper here than any of the other countries we'll visit going forward. We thought we'd get the same young woman (Yulia), but we got a very nervous young man instead. I think his name was Denis, but he didn't introduce himself or talk much at all. He did a fine enough job, although he seemed to want to leave Jason a comb over and wanted to add body to mine (you can stop laughing now- he seemed quite stunned with the resulting bouffant-ish lion's mane. I think it will calm down after washing...) I did not have him do my eyebrows. Sexist of me, but it just felt weird. 

Great morning after shots, I know. Hopefully you get the idea. 

I'm debating on a trip to the dentist. A cleaning costs $23 or so (199 grivna per the flyer I keep getting handed). I'm just not sure what it will involve or if they can do any damage... stay tuned!

2 comments:

  1. They sell ink for cartridges here as well. I tried once myself, with the same result as Jason. How do they do it?!?
    Hair looks good :o)
    I don't know about the dentist. That would be awfully brave!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah- we have the ink in the US, too... we just also have a choice about its use- ha ha!

    ReplyDelete